Skaneateles Press, January 12, 1962
Mark P. McCarthy, Restaurant Head, Marine Vet, Dies at Home
Mark P. McCarthy, owner of the well known McCarthy Restaurant at 1026 South Salina St., Syracuse, and a Skaneateles summer resident, died last Sunday (January 7, 1962) at his home, 320 Stolp Ave., Syracuse, after a long illness.
He was the husband of the former Elizabeth McLaughlin of Skaneateles and a frequent visitor to the village.
He attended Christian Brothers Academy in Syracuse and participated in several of the city’s charitable organizations.
A native of Syracuse where he was born June 28, 1895, he was a veteran of World War I, serving with the United States Marine Corps in a brigade attached to the Second U. S. Division.
He took part with his brigade in many operations of the Corps and was present in the action at Belleue Wood and Chateau Thierry, preceding and during the second Battle of the Marne from June through July 1918.
He was wounded in action and received a Purple Heart decoration.
McCarthy’s Restaurant is a well known establishment of Syracuse, founded by the decedent’s father, Mark McCarthy, in 1873, a block from its present location. It is the oldest family-owned restaurant in the city.
A communicant of Most Holy Rosary Church in Syracuse, he was a member of its Holy Name Society.
He was a member of Post 41, American Legion, and was interested in the Syracuse Boys’ Club.
His brother, the late Frank C. McCarthy, founded the School for Retarded Children in Syracuse.
Surviving are his wife, Mrs. Elizabeth McLaughlin McCarthy; two daughters, Mrs. Thomas P. O’Leary and Mrs. Alan F. Coates; a son, Lt. J. Mark McCarthy of the U.S. Marine Corps stationed at Camp LeJeune, North Carolina, and a brother, the Rev. John A. McCarthy, pastor of St. Theresa’s Church, Syracuse.
Funeral services were held at 8:30 a.m. Wednesday from the DeWitt Funeral Home and at 9 a.m. from Most Holy Rosary Church in that city
Burial was in St. Mary’s Cemetery, Skaneateles.